The aims of the association are:
- To act as a recognised branch of the European Prison Education Association (EPEA)
- To promote education in prison according to the Recommendations No. R (89) 12 of the Committee of Ministers to the members states of the Council of Europe (1990)
- To promote education in Irish prisons as set out in the Strategy Statement of the Prison Education Service 2003-2007
- To support and assist the professional development of persons involved in education in prison
- To act as an advocate on behalf of educators in Irish prisons
- To support penal reform.