CONSTITUTION OF THE IRISH PRISON EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
The name of the organisation shall be the Irish Prison Education Association (IPEA).
The aims of the association shall be:
• To act as a recognised branch of the European Prison Education Association (EPEA)
• To promote education in prison according to the Recommendations No. R (89) 12 of the Committee of Ministers to the members states of the Council of Europe (1990)
• To promote education in Irish prisons as set out in the Strategy Statement of the Prison Education Service 2003-2007
• To support and assist the professional development of persons involved in education in prison
• To act as an advocate on behalf of educators in Irish prisons
• To support penal reform.
• Full membership is open to individuals involved in the field of prison education in Ireland. Associate membership is open to others. All full members of the IPEA will automatically be members of the EPEA.
• The Executive Committee shall have the right to accept or reject applications for membership of the association subject to appeal to the Steering Committee of the EPEA.
• An annual membership subscription shall be levied on each member as determined from time to time by the Executive Committee.
• Only those who are in full membership shall be entitled to vote at meetings.
All the elections within the Irish Prison Education Association shall be by secret ballot and by means of Proportional Representation – Single Transferable Vote.
5. Officers of the Association
The Executive Committee of the Association shall consist of the following:
- Two Liaison Persons of EPEA.
Any member of the IPEA who is also a member of the Steering Committee of the EPEA shall also be a member of the Executive Committee of the IPEA.
Each Officer and the two EPEA Liaison Persons shall be elected by postal ballot every three years.
If any member of the Executive Committee resigns during their term of office, the Executive Committee shall have the power to co-opt a member for the duration of the term of office of the resigned member.
6. Notice and Administration of Meetings
(A) Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall meet at least three times each year to administer the activities of the IPEA
The Secretary shall call the meeting
At least two weeks notice must be given to all Executive members prior to the convening of a meeting.
(B) Members’ Meetings
The membership of the IPEA shall meet at least once a year at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) called by the Executive Committee
Members must receive at least two months notice of an AGM
The Secretary shall receive motions for the AGM at least one month before the meeting.
(A) All monies raised by or on behalf of the Association shall be applied to further the aims of the Association.
(B) The Association shall keep proper accounts in such a manner that will permit a successful audit by a competent auditor.
(C) A bank account shall be opened in the name of the Association. Money may only be withdrawn with the signature of the Treasurer and one other elected Executive Committee member.
8. Alterations to the Constitution
(a) A proposal to amend the constitution must be received by the Secretary of the Executive Committee no later than two months before an AGM or EGM and be circulated to all members one month prior to the meeting.
(b) Amendments to the constitution can be made by a two thirds majority of members at any AGM or in some cases an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM).
• If the Executive Committee, by majority decides that it is necessary to dissolve the association it shall call an EGM for this purpose giving the normal notice.
• A motion favouring dissolution must be approved by at least two thirds of those full members at the EGM. Any remaining money shall be disposed of as decided by the meeting.